Make A Donation
Annual Giving Campaign
Gift Planning / Endowment
Find A Program
Active Older Adults
Aquatics (Ages 6-12)
Arts and Humanities
Certifications and Trainings
Child and School Age Care
Chronic Health Initiatives
Health and Fitness
Saint Joseph Healthy Living Center
Sports and Leagues
Training Prgram for Reindeer Ramble 5K "RUN for IT
Beaumont Centre Family YMCA
High Street YMCA
Jessamine County YMCA
North Lexington Family YMCA
Scott County YMCA
YMCA Child Development
YMCA Community Services
YMCA Black Achievers
News & Announcements
Event Photo Galleries
Audio / Video
Board of Directors
Forms and Brochures
Healthy Kids Day Fun Fest 2012
Youth and Teen Volunteers
Manage My Account
Log in to view your account and make payments
Child and School Age Care
We believe the values and skills learned early on are vital building blocks for quality of life. Because of the Y community, kids in neighborhoods around the nation are taking more interest in learning and making smarter life choices. At the Y, kids learn their ABC’s, learn to share, learn about sportsmanship and, most importantly, learn how to be themselves. That makes for confident kids today and contributing and engaged adults tomorrow.
The YMCA of Central Kentucky provides high quality before/after-school programming in several Fayette County Public Schools and Lexington Christian Academy campuses.
Why choose the Y?
A long-standing not-for-profit organization
• The nation’s Ys have been engaging children in after-school programs for more than 50 years. Today, Ys serve nearly half a million youth in school-age care programs and millions more in after-school programs.
• The Y has been serving our community since 1853, meeting the ever changing needs of our community for 155 years.
• The Y has been providing school-age childcare to families in Fayette, Jessamine and Scott counties since 1990. Our programs are licensed by the Division of Regulated Child Care and exceed minimum healthy and safety requirements. Our programs participate in the KY Stars for Kids Now voluntary ratings scale, and all sites are currently at or in the process of obtaining a Level 2 Star rating.
• We meet or exceed state standards for staff to child ratio, and have strict policies regarding supervision of children.
• Over 2,000 children are entrusted to our care every day.
Dedicated and Trained Staff
• An integral component of the Y’s quality programming is staffing. Our staff consists of mature and enthusiastic individuals who are committed to providing a quality, safe, and enjoyable program. Employment reference checks, pre-employment drug testing, Sexual Offender Record Check, Criminal Background Check and TB test are completed before any applicant is hired.
• The Y requires that all school age program staff complete a minimum of 18 hours training in developmentally appropriate practices, behavior management, curriculum planning, and child abuse prevention each year. All Site Directors and Assistant Directors are certified in CPR and 1st Aid.
We are committed to developing the whole child. Y staff and volunteers know that kids have different wants and needs from their before/afterschool program than what they need or get during the school day. Our programs support academics through activities that help children build social skills, utilize problem solving, promote character development and practice healthy lifestyle choices. We believe it is important to strike a balance between academic enrichment and hands-on, recreational activities for children. The activities offered strengthen, expand and provide real life context to information learned in the classroom.
Our core curriculum is built around the following areas:
Arts & Humanities
Health, Wellness, Fitness
Science and math
Social competence and conflict resolution
LCA sites include a Christian Education component.
The Y also utilizes the nationally recognized enrichment resources KidzLit, KidzMath, Skillastics, and CATCH Kids Club.
The Y’s national character building campaign pledges to incorporate the values of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility as a part of all youth services programming. We seek to support and strengthen the family unit, help children develop their fullest potential and present programs and services in a positive Y environment of safety, support, and care.
Copyright © 2013 YMCA Of Central Kentucky, Inc. All rights reserved.
Hammond Communications Group